(Sr.) Research Associate Biology High-Throughput Experimentation.
Cradle aims to make programming biology easy by providing biologists the tools to discover, design and optimize enzymes and cell-factories. We are bridge builders who bring together the best of machine learning, synthetic biology, developer tools, and user experience design. Our mission is to enable a world where most of the products around us can be easily made and degraded biologically using a cell-factory instead of (petro) chemicals, plants or animal agriculture.
The Bioengineering team is responsible for developing and running high-throughput workflows for building DNA libraries, expressing and purifying proteins, and running protein characterisation studies (e.g. enzyme assays). Their aim is to build wet-lab infrastructure that enables much more scalable and cost-effective experimentation, leveraging high-throughput automation and working hand in hand with their machine learning algorithms. Next to more established methods, they will develop workflows that are based on fundamentally different techniques than currently are mainstream.
As a Research Associate, you will collaborate with scientists on the team to develop, execute, and continuously improve novel wet lab methods for their DNA construction and enzyme optimisation pipeline. If you enjoy running molecular biology workflows, love to tinker, and want to be a part of building the next-generation platform for making biotechnological products, then this is the perfect opportunity for you!
- Develop optimal methods for (library) DNA synthesis and assembly, protein expression, protein purification, and enzyme characterization;
- Adapt and optimize these methods into efficient, robust, and cost-effective workflows that integrate well with our high-throughput liquid handlers;
- Run workflows for (library) DNA synthesis and assembly, protein expression, protein purification, and enzyme characterisation;
- Effectively communicate results, successes and challenges in a cross-functional environment.
Profiel van de kandidaat.
- BSc + 2 yrs, MSc, or equivalent experience in either molecular biology, biochemistry, enzymology, metabolic engineering, biophysics, or related fields.
- Demonstrated experience with in vitro and/or in vivo protein expression systems (e.g. E. coli, B. subtilis, P. pastoris, cell extracts).
- Hands-on experience with standard cloning techniques.
- Excitement to learn, contribute, and drive innovation in an early stage startup environment. Having an appetite for its ambiguity and fast pace.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English. Proactively sharing results, successes and challenges in a cross-functional environment.
- The ability to run multiple projects simultaneously while ensuring that process steps are documented, and physical / digital data are organized.
- Familiarity with programming languages (eg. Python, MATLAB, R) or having an interest in developing in this area will be an advantage.
We offer a top of the market salary, a generous equity stake in the company and a wide range of benefits from health and wellbeing, financial, to training and career progression opportunities.