(Sr.) Research Associate fungal strain maintenance.
The growing demand for healthy, safe and sustainable food has increasingly imposed restrictions on agricultural practices. Therefore, improving food production efficiency in a sustainable way, while safeguarding the environment and its natural resources, is essential.
Biotalys has the ambition to transform food protection, shaping the future of sustainable and safe food supply. They are a rapidly growing and transformative food and crop protection company developing a new generation of protein-based biocontrol solutions.
Based on their ground-breaking technology platform, they have developed a broad pipeline of effective and safe products with novel modes of action, addressing key crop pests and diseases across the whole value chain, from soil to plate. Their products combine the high-performance characteristics of chemicals with the clean safety profile of biologicals, making them ideal crop protection agents for both pre- and post-harvest applications.
The headquarters are located in the vibrant biotech cluster in Ghent, Belgium, and their US subsidiary is based in Durham, North Carolina. More information can be found on www.biotalys.com
To strengthen their valuable team of dedicated employees in Belgium, Biotalys is looking for a (Sr) Research Associate fungal strain maintenance.
As (Sr) Research Associate fungal strain maintenance, you are involved in all daily operations related to fungal strain activities that are currently ongoing in our different projects. Responsibilities will include fungal strain acquisition, banking, maintenance, cultivation and propagation.
We are looking for a hands-on individual with a high sense of accuracy that likes to support the different projects by ensuring and delivering high-quality fungal cultures. You will enjoy a scale-up environment where flexibility is part of the company culture and where your effort makes a big difference. As part of a multidisciplinary team, you are flexible and takes up additional tasks and responsibilities if needed. Open communication is key.
- Acquisition of fungal strains from the available repositories.
- Fungal strain cultivation, maintenance and banking.
- Main responsible for the in-house cryobanking.
- Performing the required QC checks (strain purity, pathogenicity,…).
- Fungal strain propagation to support ongoing experiments.
- Assist in biological assays when needed.
- Plan and execute daily tasks accurately, interpret and report observations and propose follow-up steps.
- Maintain lab notebook and record findings in experimental reports in a detailed and timely way.
- Assist in the creation and maintenance of laboratory NOP’s and SOP’s related to fungal strain activities.
- Participate in functional and/or project teams, prioritize tasks based on the team deliverables and complete assignments accordingly.
- Present results and findings to colleagues and team members in team meetings
Profiel van de kandidaat.
- A bachelor or master degree in the area of microbiology, biotechnology or related.
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience is mandatory.
- Experience with sterile working conditions and techniques is key.
- Experience with fungal strain maintenance activities is recommended.
- Experience with microbiological work is a plus.
- Good knowledge of basic molecular biology methods such as DNA and protein extraction, PCR and gel electrophoresis
- Passion for laboratory work and willingness to work in an R&D environment.
- Open to a certain degree of routine activities.
- Critical eye for details.
- Excellent record keeping.
- Willing to take responsibility for the assigned tasks.
- Good communication skills in English, both written and orally.
- An accurate and well-organized work approach to deliver high quality results.
- Open to giving and receiving feedback.
- A team-oriented attitude, flexibility, enthusiasm, and ability to work independently.
- Proficiency in MS Office (excel, word, power point).