The growing demand for healthy, safe and sustainable food has increasingly imposed restrictions on agricultural practices. Therefore, improving food production efficiency in a sustainable way, while safeguarding the environment and its natural resources, is essential.
Biotalys has the ambition to transform food protection, shaping the future of sustainable and safe food supply. They are a rapidly growing and transformative food and crop protection company developing a new generation of protein-based biocontrol solutions.
Based on their ground-breaking technology platform, they have developed a broad pipeline of effective and safe products with novel modes of action, addressing key crop pests and diseases across the whole value chain, from soil to plate. Their products combine the high-performance characteristics of chemicals with the clean safety profile of biologicals, making them ideal crop protection agents for both pre- and post-harvest applications.
Their headquarters are located in the vibrant biotech cluster in Ghent, Belgium, and their US subsidiary is based in Durham, North Carolina. More information can be found on www.biotalys.com
As Researcher Downstream Processing you are involved in the development, optimization and upscaling of downstream processes for efficient recovery of AGROBODYTM bioactives (proteins).
- Performing bench scale purifications of AGROBODY™ bioactives out of the microbial cultures using a wide range of technologies and equipment such as chromatography and filtration techniques;
- Design, execute, analyze and report recovery experiments to assess the impact of versatile factors on process efficiency and product quality, and propose follow-up steps;
- Actively participate in setting-up development plans within the scope of a project;
- Engage with third party service or technology providers in the field of downstream processing in scope of development or upscaling activities;
- Involved in pilot and large scale activities at our C(D)MO’s in very close collaboration with the Contract Manufacturing team, which includes tech transfer, monitoring process implementation and execution and analyzing process performance (evaluation process parameters, step yields, product quality…) across different production runs in order to identify improvement opportunities;
- Formulate proposals for continuous process improvement in terms of yield increase, cost reduction, sustainability improvements and follow-up on their implementation accordingly;
- Identify potential risks and improvement opportunities to run the process at large scale, keeping end-in-mind;
- Evaluation of novel strategies to maximize recovery of AGROBODY™ bioactives out of fermentation broth;
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of the workflows in the lab to ensure a maximum output of the different teams;
- Actively participate in functional and project teams.
- Bachelor or Master of Science in Biology, Biotechnology, (Bio)Chemistry, or Bio(chemical)-engineer; with at least 3 years relevant experience;
- Knowledge and hands-on experience in downstream processing of proteins is required;
- Background in large-scale recovery through filtration based downstream processing;
- Passionate to work in a manufacturing and process development environment;
- Familiar with proteins and technologies for their recombinant production, analysis and characterization;
- Hands-on, pro-active and problem-solving oriented;
- High sense of quality, accuracy and detail;
- Strong team-player, but able to work autonomously;
- Able to collaborate effectively across organizational and functional boundaries (matrix organization);
- Good data-analysis, reporting and communication skills;
- Positive attitude and eager to investigate and learn;
- Fluent in English, written and spoken;
- Willing to travel in scope of process transfers, troubleshooting and process follow-up.
Teamwork, innovation, passion, well-being and accountability are the Biotalys’ values that guide their business and that they prize when they recruit new talent and reward their employees. They strive to create an exciting and dynamic working environment in which you will be challenged to take initiative, contributing to the success of the company. You will work in a multicultural and multidisciplinary team of top innovators in the AgFood Biotech industry who will support you to further develop and grow your personal skills. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary and benefits package and you will have the opportunity to optimize your work-life balance and time management via flexible working hours and telework.
Are you interested in this vacancy? Do not hesitate to contact us:
Nele Geusens, PhD, Recruitment Consultant
T: +32 497 57 08 94